Monday, August 16, 2010

It's Not Too Late, George!

So, George Lucas has announced his plans for theBlu-Ray release of the Star Wars trilogy. It's just the '97 "Special Edition" versions of the movie released at a higher resolution. Now, this is disappointing to me because, as many of you know, I had a brilliant idea for this inevitable release a few months back. The short version is this: Create Your Own Edition.

Basically, provide a menu system that allows viewers to choose which version of the films they want to watch at any point where there is a difference between versions. Who shot first? Did Han meet Jabba in the docking bay at Mos Eisley? Did Alderaan's explosion look like special effects from the '70's or from the '90's? Was the destruction of the second Death Star celebrated by awesome, dancing Ewoks or by an interplanetary throwing down of Palpatine statues? (for the record: Han, No, '90's, and Yub Yub!).

Everybody has their own perfect version of Star Wars, so let them create it and share it (hell, give us a BD-Live feature that lets us watch our friends' cuts!). Seriously, this is an idea that would have satisfied *everybody* and made the release something really special instead of just another Lucas cash-in opportunity. I make no official claim to this idea, so feel free to spread it around in case it somehow makes its way to the fine folks at Lucasfilm before the planned Fall 2011 release.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We prefer the same cuts. This is a very special moment. *hug*

xoxo,
Andy

Rhael Lathe said...

That would be one of the more awesome uses of blu-ray I'm aware of. Not, you know, that I've seen extensive amounts of blu-ray usage, but there you go. It would be sweet.

Allison said...

If that happened, I would buy a copy for me and everyone I know. Even if they already have it. Win.

Andy P said...

I have to agree with Enzeru. That would be a cool application of the technology.

Andy P said...
This comment has been removed by the author.