Fresh back from the midnight showing of the final chapter in the Harry Potter film series, so, of course, I'm going to write about that instead of taking this opportunity to go to sleep at what would only be a mildly unreasonable hour. I'll try to minimize spoilers, but they're obviously going to be here.
First of all, a reminder that I'm not the hugest fan of the Deathly Hallows book. Long story short, my general sense about the movie is about the same as with Part 1, only generally more favorable because of the portion of the story captured. With a few small exceptions, the adaptation itself is about as strong as you could want. By and large, deviations from the source made perfect sense within the characterizations given in the movies and the nature of the medium. More important, the aspects of the book that I found most frustrating -- The Hallows, wand lore, Gringotts -- were minimized to the extent possible, while full attention was paid to the most important factors -- Snape's past, King's Cross, and others. In fact, I came into the theater thinking "If they handle Snape right, that will account for all other sins." And while I mostly feel they did this and more, I can't quite give it a completely free pass.
See, there were too many moments that just seemed...manufactured. Scenes that wanted to be emotional rarely were, and the execution just had a number of moments where it just didn't feel all there. It seemed, at times, like they were including sequences because they knew that the fans would be clamoring for them and just letting it ride on that fact. In general, I'd say that the more people who were on the screen, the less honest anything seemed. The core cast continues to be largely phenomenal, but the Wizarding World somehow felt less real than ever. Heck, early on, even the small moments seemed a little bit too rushed and matter-of-fact.
I want to end on a positive note, though. Even if it will never be the first Harry Potter film I reach for on a lazy day, Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 was an enjoyable time and a worthy ending to one of the most lucrative film franchises of all time. I'd really like to watch a cut of this and part 1 blended together to eliminate the handful of redundancies and see if I still have problems with some of the early pacing or if the momentum carries. I suspect that it would, elevating both movies considerably (thank God, DVD will also let us skip over Harry and Hermione dancing in Part 1).
Friday, July 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
---Spoilers---
I'm mostly glad that they downplayed the Dumbledore history lesson. While Aberforth's existence was a little random, I'm glad they made it quick and painless.
I thought they did a great job within the first half hour to bring you back up to speed on who everyone was and what was going on, without getting bogged down in dialog.
Yet, I was disappointed that the Snape montage didn't include any of Snape's wrong doings, the reason Lily left him. My understanding was that Snape's regret was traumatizing. There was a lot being muttered in the background, and I might have missed something, but now it just looks like he was innocently spurned by her.
I also didn't like the changes made to Neville's use of the sword. I don't see how he could have understood that he was supposed to use the sword on Nagini -- or even that the snake had to die. It looks like he just happened to go there with the sword and save Ron and Hermione. Why would a grown wizard walk around wielding a sword instead of a wand unless he knew he had to use it specifically? I understand why they didn't want to do it the way it's written, but I don't think they wrapped this into the flow of the story very well.
But I really enjoyed the movie. And I agree that the changes that they made were, for the most part, very well done.
*That's* what it was I thought was missing from the Snape sequence! I couldn't put my finger on it, but I knew something was off. The people I went to see it with were convinced that it was fine.
Agreed about the unneeded changes made to Neville's handling of Nagini. It disrespected Neville and reduced the drama of the whole scene just as a way to provide an easy excuse to lengthen the rest of the Battle for Hogwarts -- which didn't do much except give a chance to sneak in "Not my daughter, you bitch!".
I was kind of thinking the same thing about watching Pt.1 and Pt.2 together, I bet it makes it feel more "holistic".
Post a Comment