I'm watching Little Miss Sunshine right now and remembering why it's one of my favorite movies. I mean, certainly, there's the wonderful soundtrack by DeVotchKa and Mychael Danna; the inventive cinematography; and the dry, dark humor. These things are enough to make most people I know enjoy the film. For me, though, there's a deeper element to it. There's a subtext to the story being told that I identify with in a way I do few other films.
Watching all of these characters fall apart in their desperate attempts to control their own lives brings me a perverse happiness. This is because I know that they will come to the realization that they are broken beyond their ability to repair themselves. I know that, in time, they will learn that it is only by letting go of their personal agendas and loving one another even at the cost of their own pride that they will find purpose and contentedness. I know that they will learn from Olive's example. The message here is an attack on the standards of what it means to be successful not only in the eyes of society, but in the eyes of the self.
I know a couple of people who read this blog who haven't seen the movie, so I won't build up a case for my argument. Those of you who have seen the movie and don't know where I'm getting this from, go and watch it again and we can talk about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Accurately and astutely assessed, as always. (I'd say often, but that ruins the alliteration.)
Post a Comment