Wednesday, July 2, 2008

WALL*E is too good for words

Ummm...yeah. WALL*E met all of my expectations of quality without being quite what I expected in terms of a movie. All I can say is that any review taglines you've seen for this movie are going to be misleading; but it is absolutely wonderful and more than worth your time and money. I'd be happy to see this movie at least once more in the theaters.

I do want to touch on one thing. A lot of people seem to think that the movie had an environmentalist agenda. Those people are full of shit. There's certainly an anti-consumerist agenda, but it's generally hopeful and shows immense trust in the basic instincts of humanity once we push through our sensory overload.

In any case, I think I have a new favorite Pixar movie. I honestly think that WALL*E is worthy of an Oscar nomination for Best Picture. I don't know if it could win the award (I don't even really know what's down the pipe yet this fall), but it does so much with so much love that I wouldn't be surprised.

1 comment:

Andy DeJong said...

I have to agree that WALL-E is a great movie. Many critics said it had a bleak outlook on humanity. But I disagree. The moral lesson wasn't that the human race had been overrun by the BnL corp; it was that the human race overcame it's slavery to the corp. They weren't saying that humanity would fail, but that we would succeed no matter where we find ourselves.

But I don't think it will get many awards (knock on wood), because it wasn't new, or inventive. It was a fantastic movie, worthy of awards; but it didn't redefine the genre or pioneer new techniques.